Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

Photography Book

We were given an assignment in class to do a photography book. I chose to do a book about community helpers. I got the idea last semester when I was in observations for another class and the kindergarten teacher did a unit on community helpers. Every week she would introduce a community helper and read all kinds of books about that person. So I started making a collection of photos for my book. I went around and took pictures of a police officer, a doctor, a firefighter, and a librarian. I really wanted to take a picture of a plumber that I call when something goes wrong in my house but nothing was wrong. I could have made up something to bring him to the house but I thought that was a waste of money. So I gathered whatever pictures I can put together and created my beautiful book about community helpers. I really like the idea of creating a photo book. All children like to see real pictures in books. I plan on creating more books for my future classroom because it helps children visualize the story and connect the story to real life situations when the pictures are real. I plan on doing a book about single mothers. Three of my sisters are single mothers with children. I am sure that they miss their dads, so creating a book that will describe this situation will help ease the situation on some students. I also want to do a book for my own children with their pictures of when they were younger. I am sure they would love it. In a classroom, students would love the idea of creating a photo book, of course I have to make sure that they will access and proper resources to create their books. But I am certain that it will be a wonderful idea!




Here is a link that will help children understand the meaning behind photography and how you can connect it to writing. It is an article written by Peggy Zehnder, an 8th grade school teacher who inspired her students to take photographs.  


http://education.jhu.edu/newhorizons/strategies/topics/literacy/articles/photography-as-a-connection/index.html
  

No comments:

Post a Comment