Translate

Monday, June 18, 2012

Moon Journals :)


In my class we had to observe the moon for a few days and keep a journal about it. At first, I didn’t really get the point or the idea, but then as I sat at night in my backyard and watched the moon I began liking the idea of writing in a journal. I think that is because it is not something that I am used to. I have always noticed the moon and I personally love watching it but that is because I wanted to watch it and no one told me to sit and watch the moon and write what you feel in a journal. The first day, I couldn't think of anything to write, although I felt like writing a poem. I kind of felt like singing a slow song too! So, I started writing a bunch of words to describe the moon, like bright, calm, peaceful, gift, lonely, and I kind of felt like it was watching me. My husband was beginning to start a fire on the fire pit we drank tea and went to sleep. So the next day, I observed the moon and wrote more things about it. I really like the idea of bringing this to the classroom. Students really like to do different things and an assignment like this where they describe their feeling and emotion and how they feel about the moon is fantastic. Although like my teacher said, it is ideal when this activity is longer than a few days. Students need at least a month of journaling before the students really start getting the hang of the activity. But this activity also brings a whole lot of other conversations, ranging from writing, poetry, to science.

Here is a link to a website I found that guides teachers to the Moon Journal Activity in the classroom.





No comments:

Post a Comment